"Everything you need to know from someone who knows nothing!"

"Everything you need to know from someone who knows nothing!"





Sunday, December 26, 2010

Writing and Christmas

What do writing and Christmas have in common? Other than being two things I truly enjoy, not much. Really though the question is can writing and the holidays coexist? My theory on the subject...
The holidays provide a sublime time to step away from your dark corner and recharge. It's often one of the more emotional times of the year. Who knows if it's the childhood trauma of Santa not delivering the goods when you know quite well you were beyond pleasant that year, at least better than your siblings. Maybe it's the long distance travel, waiting on overweight flyers to take off their shoes and belt or maybe it's the family reunions that often lead to Grandma Tilly defending the benefits of Ensure.

Whatever the reason is, personally I find it a wonderful experience to sit back, open my ears and watch the genuine conflict arise from Susie's displeasure when Jenny gets one more pair of stockings, even if she secretly despises them.

On the writing tip I encourage you all to find your flow. Your pattern, your approach to your craft because right around the corner is a new year. And with a new year often comes new goals, new challenges ripe with opportunity to succeed.

It's also a good time to reflect. I urge everyone to take time to look back at your year. What you accomplished, what you didn't. What could you have done differently, what you did just right. Where did you find your peak of happiness and where did you wallow in despair, and why?

You should do this with not just your writing but your life. Because if you haven't learned, they go hand in hand. When you sit down and write that first word on that first page, little do you know, for the next 100 pages you're sharing a piece of yourself that's directly influenced by what you believe, your fears, your hopes, dreams, shortcomings. You have the chance to be completely honest with yourself through the words and actions of others. People who don't really exist except on the page.

And the reason you return another day to write another page is because you have something to tell. Something you have to share and with that expression comes the great responsibility of finishing what you started. As I wrap up my 2010 I can look back and say I wish I finished more, more words, more pages but I also know I told a few stories I had to get off my chest. I know I shared some things I had to share.

And as we head into 2011, plan to share again and again. Will you? Share until your breath runs short. Share until the night turns black. Share as if the world hangs on your next word, your next twist. Fulfill those promises you set up, take your worry and turn it into magic. Craft your vision into something you're proud to share. This year make a promise to your writing, finish what you started. If anything, finish what you started....

Safe writings--

No comments:

Post a Comment